Cold Sore Laser Treatment
Do you struggle with painful and embarrassing cold sores (fever blisters outside the mouth) or canker sores (apthous ulcers inside the mouth)?
Laser treatment may be for you!
Cold sores, sometimes called fever blisters, are groups of small blisters on the lip and around the mouth. The skin around the blisters is often red, swollen, and sore. They usually heal after several days to 2 weeks. Cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV) and are very contagious.
Although cold sores and canker sores are often confused with each other, they are not the same. Cold sores, also called fever blisters or herpes simplex type 1, are groups of painful, fluid-filled blisters. Unlike canker sores, cold sores are caused by a virus and are extremely contagious.
We now have the ability with gentle laser dentistry to treat both sores and shorten the healing time. Catch it early with laser treatment, and the cold sore won’t break out.
What are benefits of laser in treating cold sores and canker sores?
- Gentle laser energy destroys the virus responsible for the sore
- Profound immediate relief
- If laser treatment is done at first sign of tingling, often don’t develop a sore
- The lip will return to normal in a matter of days instead of 2 weeks without laser treatment
- Laser treatment just takes a few minutes, is affordable, and often is covered by insurance
- After treatment, sores reoccur with less frequency and less intensity at the same location
- Virtually no discomfort during and following laser treatment
Other laser benefits (stops the stinging and speeds healing):
- Canker sores
- Periodontal therapy for gum disease
- Irritations from orthodontic wires or injuries